The Congregation of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM) is a community of 489 Catholic women religious whose roots date back to 1845. The IHM Congregation came to be because our founders, Theresa Maxis Duchemin and Louis Florent Gillet, left their ministries on the east coast of the United States to travel to frontier Michigan. They left all that was familiar to them because they knew that the people of Monroe, Michigan had no one to minister to their spiritual needs, to educate their children in the faith, or to give them skills to overcome obstacles blocking the full realization of their God-given dignity and potential.
The IHM founders were great-souled visionaries with an acute sensitivity to the urgent needs of their times and an unremitting orientation to life and to the future. Their zeal for mission, generosity of spirit, courage, resourcefulness and confidence in God's loving providence enabled them to convert dreams to deeds. IMH history since those beginning days is a long and joyful course of hope and vitality, proclaimed through lives of prayer, a communal lifestyle, and works of education, health care, social service, and pastoral and spiritual ministries.
Click on Sisters of the IHM for further information.